Scholarship Criteria and Instructions for Application Process
The Mary Neil Alexander Scholarship Fund (MNASF) of Matthews Presbyterian Church was established to assist qualifying church members to pursue post-secondary education. In honor of Mary Neil Alexander, a long-time member of Matthews Presbyterian church and an educator, a generous donation was made and designated for this purpose in December 1995. The membership of Matthews Presbyterian Church, as well as the beneficiaries of the MNASF, deeply appreciate this expression of interest in the educational future of Matthews Presbyterian Church through the pursuit of higher education by its members.
These scholarship awards are annual grants and should not be perceived as loans. Should a recipient wish to express appreciation at a future time, contributions to the MNASF fund would be appropriate.
The amount of each scholarship may vary annually and is determined by the available income to be distributed, the number of approved applicants, and overall financial need. Scholarship awards are paid directly by Matthews Presbyterian Church to the appropriate educational institution. Funds are to be applied to official academic expenses that the institution includes in its tuition billing.
Scholarship awards are for a single academic year and are based on full-time enrollment in a college or graduate school. Awards for part-time students may be granted depending on funds available and number of applicants and will be pro-rated. Students may apply for subsequent annual awards, but awards are limited to a total of four years.
Criteria for a scholarship from the MNASF are as follows:
- Active Membership in Matthews Presbyterian Church
- Moral Character
- Demonstrated Academic Achievement
- Submission of the application and supporting materials as listed below
- Financial Need
The completed application should contain all the following:
- Completed MNASF Application Form - Use Google Docs link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IVHFlEAvsjPezHzWFzdD_PNigixysD8P/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=118231308704041443592&rtpof=true&sd=true
- (Please save an electronic copy of this form, the Personal Statement, and the Summary of Membership to update, as needed, and send each year)
- Attached Personal Statement
- Attached Summary of Membership in Matthews Presbyterian Church
- Reference Letters (starting in 2021, update every other year)
- Personal reference (not a family member or college age student)
- Academic reference (teacher, counselor, faculty member, professor, advisor, university administrator)
- MNASF Financial Need Form (Save and update every year)
- Unofficial School Transcript (Update every year)
The applicant is responsible for submitting all parts of the completed application process as listed above. The application form and materials may be turned in on or before the submission DEADLINE on April 1, 2022. No applications will be considered if turned in after the submission deadline. No exceptions will be made. Applicants should submit their applications and supporting materials to the MNASF Committee by email, MNASF@matthewspresbyterian.org.