History of Matthews Presbyterian Church

Matthews Presbyterian Church dates to February 10, 1877, when a commission appointed by the Mecklenburg Presbytery organized the Matthews Presbyterian Church.  Our first church building was a one-room frame structure with stained glass windows.  A steeple over the vestibule held a large, good-toned bell, the only one in town, which was tolled for funeral services and used to signal fires.  The bell remains in our church today.

In 1929, work began on the demolition of the first church, and soon construction began for the building we now refer to as our Chapel building.  In a reaction to our country's financial collapse of 1929, the officers and members of the church decided against debt as a means to finance the completion of the new church.  It was therefore completed in phases, as finances permitted.


In 1931, a two story building was completed.  It housed an assembly room and classrooms.  In 1939, the third floor classrooms were completed by the Young Men's Class.  The chapel was the last phase of the project to be completed, and after having worshipped in the Assembly Room for eleven years, members moved into their new sanctuary in 1942.  You can see a picture to the left as well as in the banner at the top of the page.  Our beautiful chapel has been embraced by old and new members for more than one-half century.

On August 25, 1996, the congregation of Matthews Presbyterian Church voted overwhelmingly in favor of undertaking a capital campaign for the purpose of constructing a Christian Worship Center.  During the 1990s, membership grew rapidly, necessitating the addition of classroom and worship space.  The Christian Worship Center has been a wonderful addition to the Matthews Presbyterian Church campus.  It houses a fellowship area which seats 400 for worship and 250 for seated meals.  It also houses additional class space and offices for the church staff, who had been in disjointed and dated office space.  There is also a friendship court in which pre- and post-Worship service fellowship takes place, and a professional kitchen for meal preparation and serving.  This building has allowed our congregation to continue its growth and enhanced our time together.